Thursday 9 January 2020

Little Women (2019)

I know my opinion completely goes against the grain on this one, but this film was a complete disappointment to me. Yes, it's a host of female characters, in a story written by a female author, and a film directed by a female, which is all reason to rejoice - but no, I did not like this at all.

I have grown up reading Little Women from the age of 10 all the way through my late teens, over and over again. I love the characters - Jo and Laurie more than anyone else - and I feel that I know their souls. I have seen this novel filmed badly enough times to be used to that. But somehow this version offended me most because I expect better in this day and age. Plus it got hyped as a great adaptation and got Oscar glory and so much good press that I guess I hated its shortcomings even more.

The acting is so unconvincing, it is like watching a high school play. Most of the filming is suffocatingly chaotic. I would've enjoyed the stylisation, and the jumping through time, if I had connected with any of the characters, but that didn't happen.

So, I am fine being the odd one out here, as I just cannot like this film.